Lobsters North of the Keys?

Talk about anything related to the forum.

Lobsters North of the Keys?

Postby aeon6669 » June 16th, 2013, 7:20 pm

I'm new to Florida and I have been reading that you can snorkel and grab lobsters from the beach by rocks all over from Boynton Beach down to Miami. I can't dive yet, have not been certified (bit tight financially right now) but have snorkel gear and am a strong swimmer. I would love to surprise my boyfriend with lobsters I caught myself but have no idea where to get them around here as exact locations are not clear, only generalizations. I would appreciate any advice. Also, a bit off topic but anyone know where I can get certified to scuba that isn't a tremendous ripoff? Thanks!
aeon6669

Re: Lobsters North of the Keys?

Postby ScubaDivaLaura » June 22nd, 2013, 6:02 pm

Dear Aeon.

As a Florida native, I can tell you that finding lobsters off the Boynton beach jetty is a rare occasion. And to try to catch them snorkeling without being ballast would be
difficult if you are fighting to stay underwater while catching them.

Most people will give you a general idea of where to go but NO ONE gives their exact lobster spot as its like telling you where buried treasure is.
All lobster fanatics will tell you how to catch a lobster, but what they don't say is how much coral they destroy to catch them. Many hunters also
catch lobster undersized and destroy them by breaking off their feelers or legs, only to find out they are shorts and have to put them back severely damaged.

You'd be wise to pick a shop that offers scuba lessons in a pool first followed by 4 dives in the Atlantic Ocean. I know for a fact, that anyone who offers
lessons cheap takes their student dives in a filthy lake first. A practice which I consider an atrocity of integrity, and they won't tell you that fact, up front.

If you needed heart surgery, would you search for the best doctor to cut your chest open with lots of experience or the cheapest one who is usually the most inexperienced one?
There is no question in my mind, I'd be picking the best and then again not everyone thinks like I do.

Not promoting my company but I am the only scuba instructor world-wide that offers a positive and safe experience or your money back. I also offer classes that
meet with your time table and schedule.

Private Scuba Lessons are not a rip off and actually are a great thing for those people that need extra TLC and a more intimate experience, not a cookie cut lesson.
Quite honestly, scuba lessons should never be cookie cut, each individual is unique and this should be considered. Maybe you are a person for group lessons and if
that is the case, good for you. The cheapest lessons are in Miami at Austins dive center. The best and guaranteed scuba lessons are at PrivateScubaLessons.com.

Hope this helps and good luck.
ScubaDivaLaura

Re: Lobsters North of the Keys?

Postby Topcat333 » July 8th, 2013, 5:28 pm

aeon6669 wrote:I'm new to Florida and I have been reading that you can snorkel and grab lobsters from the beach by rocks all over from Boynton Beach down to Miami. I can't dive yet, have not been certified (bit tight financially right now) but have snorkel gear and am a strong swimmer. I would love to surprise my boyfriend with lobsters I caught myself but have no idea where to get them around here as exact locations are not clear, only generalizations. I would appreciate any advice. Also, a bit off topic but anyone know where I can get certified to scuba that isn't a tremendous ripoff? Thanks!

Scubadivelaura could not be more spot on. When I went for my OW1 20 years ago it was a strict 6 week course with Pool time, survival swimming, first aid, CPR, rescue and a whole lot more physical exercises - Then the technical side - books, math, chemistry, guest speakers and so on... when you graduated you understood what you were getting in to.

Today you can take a 2 day course and 2 dives and they hand you your certificate! No I am not trying to stop you from getting your certification as I am in the business as well :roll: and want more divers and free-divers out there - but take Laura's words to heed - Get the best training you can! One on one is great and not really that much more especially when you consider it's your life... If your going to dive locally get trained by a local as they will be able to discuss your environment (current, Species, dangers...)
I kayak dive and free-dive right off the beach here at A1A and Oakland Park Blvd and yes you can catch lobster just 200 yards or more right off the beach and all the info on that Laura gave you is also true. (I don't know Laura but she is spot on)
I also do meetup groups through spearborad.com and through my website www.thecleverfisherman.com my name is Tom

Spearing, Lobstering, Scuba-diving and free-diving are great fun just take your time and learn slowly
Topcat333

Return to General Discussion