Islamorada for lobster

Talk about anything related to the forum.

Islamorada for lobster

Postby tmatuska » December 6th, 2012, 4:57 pm

My daughter and I are semi-avid divers and would like to visit the keys during the lobster season. We are somewhat familiar with Marathon and Islamorada from previous visits.
I'm assuming mini season is extremely busy
What would a couple of weeks after the start of the regular season be like?? Suggestions.
I have come to the Keys before and been taken for a ride (literally) so would like some sound advice.
Would like to stay for about 3-4 days, Can someone suggest someone reputable that we can charter for the time we're there? For sure we are green and will also need a little hand holding.
Are the group charters OK or would you suggest private?
We will need to rent equipment also
Also suggestions on lodging?
I'd appreciate all the input you can give.

Thanks,
TM
tmatuska

Re: Islamorada for lobster

Postby chuck » December 14th, 2012, 10:55 pm

We use to always go down for the mini season, but as you said it's super busy. For the last few seasons we started going down for the start of the regular season and see a lot less people. We always have our own boats so I can't recommend anyone to take you out. I would try to go as close to the start of the season as you can. I've been down mid way through the season and didn't see nearly as many lobsters.
As far as lodging goes, we always rent a private home or two because we go with large groups. I wish I could be more help. :(
You may want to try posting back here closer to the season when people start thinking about going again. If you are going a few weeks after the start of the season, lodging shouldn't an issue.
chuck

Return to General Discussion